week 10 biography: who is your person?

Do you have a person or have you ever had one? It could be your mom, your partner, your best friend or sibling; anyone that you feel truly gets you. In my opinion, a person is someone who understands you like no one else. You feel safest and happiest around them. 

My ex-boyfriend was my person. He was someone who I felt so comfortable being around, that I never got tired of him. It was crazy because before dating him, I couldn’t stand being around people for longer than 24 hours, but with him it was different. We were long distance but we basically lived together whenever we did get to see each other. I had never felt so close to anyone before but he just understood me. Fast forward, we’re broken up now and even though I don’t regret the break up, I still haven’t met anyone else who gets me like he does. It makes me realize how easily I took finding my “person” for granted. I thought he could be easily replaced but now I realized he can’t.

Moreover, I was talking with my best friend about this and she brought up the idea that most people might not even end up marrying their person. This isn’t to say that people never find their person, but most times who you end up marrying isn’t them. We came to the conclusion that your person may be someone who understands you and makes you feel loved, but marrying someone requires stability for the future and there are instances when your person just can’t give that to you.

I’m writing this because I want your take on this idea. Have you found your person? Are you still in contact with them? Do you think you’ll marry your person? As a 20 year old and someone still very new to love, I would love to hear your stories.

Picture Source.

Comments

  1. Hey Audrey, the class is over now, but I had this post bookmarked to get around to because you sound like you could really use some advice. I went through a really rough breakup about a year and a half ago now. My situation wasn't nearly as amicable as yours seems to be (he was my first relationship, so I was completely ~*in love*~ ... Then he cheated. I was a mess.) but regardless of how a relationship ends, somethings are always true: A) It's okay to be sad about it; B) You've learned something from it. The key with point A most times is to recognize that you miss what was, not what is. Obviously things changed and it ended for a reason. Point B helps with this. While reminiscing on the relationship, try to remember both the good and the bad. Each can tell you something about yourself and what you should look for in your next significant other. I personally have also realized that there are different kinds of love. Each relationship will feel different. That doesn't mean that only one of them was "true love". As a general rule, follow your gut instinct if it's really throwing some red flags, but don't be afraid to explore something new. You're never gonna find an exact replacement for your ex. Everybody is their own person, and it'd be really weird if you started dating his exact clone. And again, it ended for a reason. Also, your person also isn't always your SO! It sounds like you and your bestie were having a pretty deep conversation. Try leaning on that bond a little harder if you feel like you really need it. Don't lose hope of ever finding another "person". Remember growth mindset: "Yet!" You could also try focusing on yourself rather than actively looking for a relationship for a bit. I've found that love tends to show up right when you stop looking for it. Okay, sappy mom rant over. Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts