week 5 story: you ... ARE THE FATHER!!!

"Goooood evening folks! Welcome back to the Maury Show with your favorite host, me, Maury. Today we will be welcoming two amazing guests who are having a bit of a tiff right now. Let’s welcome them to the stage so we can hear more about why they're here. Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Sita and Rama!"

The crowd erupts in a loud applause and Sita and Rama enter from separate sides of the stage. They walk in smiling and waving to the crowd but as soon as they meet eyes with each other, a grim glare immediately settles onto their faces. Sita and Rama both sit down in chairs opposite from each other on stage while Maury sits down in a chair in between the two.

Trying to ease the tension, Maury flashes a big smile at Sita and says "Welcome to the Maury Show Sita! Thank you for coming out today, we're so glad that you're here. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and why you're here?"

Shyly turning towards the audience, Sita tucks her hair behind her ear and begins to softly talk. 

"Hi everyone. I'm Sita, Rama's wife. I'm here today to prove that Rama is the father of my twin sons. No matter how much I plea with him, he won't accept them as his sons. I don't know what I have to do to prove that I'm not lying. I've always been loyal to him, I've even jumped in a fire to prove my purity!! So that's why I'm here today and I hope he'll finally recognize that I’ve been telling the truth all along."

Cheers whooped through the audience.

"Hey now hold up!" shouts Rama.

Boos emerged throughout the crowd at Rama.

Maury steps in and says, “Alright everyone let’s stay calm and hear what Rama has to say.” He looks at Rama and nods at him to start talking.

“What’s up guys, I’m Rama and let me just start with I am NOT the father. There is literally no way that I’m the father … I sent that b*tch into exile after she tried to get with my younger brother.”

“THAT IS NOT TRUE!! I NEVER TRIED TO GET WITH LAKSHMANA!!” Sita screamed out.

“Ooooohhh,” went the audience.

“Whatever,” sneered Rama. “You’re a hoe and now I know.”

Sita beings shedding tears.

“How could you treat me this way!? What happened to the Rama who saved me when I was kidnapped!? I WANT HIM BACK!!!”

Maury immediately stands up to try and get things back in order.

“Alright now why don’t we just cut to the chase and figure out if Rama is the father or not! How does that sound everyone!?”

The audience begins to cheer, ready to know the final outcome.

Maury opens the envelope and reads it, his face blank and hard to read. He looks at Rama.

“Rama… you… ARE THE FATHER!!”



Author's Note: While reading the original story, I thought it was very interesting how Rama was so highly praised all the time, yet he didn't even know he was a father to two sons. Therefore, I decided to rewrite the original story by incorporating the popular "you are not the father" meme. By doing so, I thought it would be funny to paint Rama in a bad light for once. Also, I thought it would make the story more light-hearted.

Bibliography: The Sons of Rama: Luv and Kush — The Invincible Twins, written by Anant Pai

Comments

  1. Hi Audrey!
    I love that you incorporated a meme into the story. The situation between Rama and Sita does really fit onto a TV show setting like the one you created. I was totally reminded of mid-day trashy television by the dramatic dialogue and crowd reactions. I do kind of wonder what would have happened after he found out the father in this story? Does he still dis Sita on the show drawing out even more boos from the crowd? One suggestion I do have is to maybe write this in more of a script format. I think it would fit the TV vibe and also make it easier to distinguish who is talking. It also may have been funny to bring out Lakshmana and have him respond to Rama's accusations that something happened between him and Sita. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this. Great job on writing a funny take on the Rama and Sita drama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey!
    What a fun story! I really enjoyed your writing style on this. I through you used a good amount of dialogue, imagery, and narration. You also added a lot of drama and reality to the story. I really want to know what happens next! What is Rama going to do? I hope they give Sita a brand new car or something haha. Overall, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Audrey!

    I really like your rendition of the story! It was a modern-like twist and a really entertaining take on the story of Rama. I feel as though most of these renditions are dramatic and suspenseful, which is fine, but I really like your humorous take on it, and how you really incorporated the characters in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Audrey!

    Hahaha, this was so fun to read! I got this sort of "Dr. Phil meets the paternity court" vibe and really enjoyed the humor and lightheartedness of the story. The host of the show was so cheery I even thought of Caesar from the Hunger Games and his "extra-ness" during the serious interviews with Katniss and Peeta. Truly a dramatic episode in the epics!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts