time strategies: orientation week

I have to admit, even though I can be a really hard worker, I can also be a terrible procrastinator. Focusing on a task for a long period of time isn't difficult for me because once I get into a groove I can keep myself in that groove. However, getting into that groove in the first place is the problem. For some reason, starting is always the hardest part because I always want to push it off and not deal with it. This article (The Important Habit of Just Starting) helped me realize that I need to stop being impulsive and giving into short-term pleasure. 

Another problem I have when it comes to school is being intimidated by large tasks because I don't know where to start. This article (The Psychology of Checklists) says that the best way to deal with a large task is to break it down into smaller parts, that way it feels more manageable. Although I already knew this, it's always nice to have a reminder to ease my nerves. Moreover, I LOVE checklists so I will probably be making a lot of these this semester.

Here is a picture that I took myself of a page from my planner last semester. As you can see, I like to write everything down so that once I complete that task, I can cross it off and feel a small sense of accomplishment.

Comments

Popular Posts